Vasco Da Gama Pillar Day Trip 2024/2025

Vasco DaGama PillarTour Malindi

Vasco Da Gama Pillar, Malindi City Tour

Located on the sea front road along the beach, this historical monument dates back the 14th, century.

Take a visit to the Vasco da Gama Pillar and have a chance to see the Portuguese church next to the pillar.

Visit the Snake Farm which houses a huge collection of reptiles such as snakes. Visit the Falconry Farm which is home to collection of birds such as eagles, Falcons, Owls, Peckers and many other birds.

The Vasco da Gama Pillar was built by one of the greatest Portuguese explorers Vasco da Gama in 1498.

The pillar was first erected at the sheiks house but later removed and re-erected where it is today.

The monument has become the most renown attraction site for both local and international tourists visiting Malindi.

Vasco DaGama PillarTour Malindi

Malindi developed as part of the emerging Swahili Civilization in the 5th–10th centuries.

Bantu-speaking farmers moved into the area, where they smelted iron, built timber and wattle houses thatched with palm leaves.

They spoke a local dialect of Swahili and engaged in regional and sometimes long-distance trade.

The resurgence of the Indian Ocean trade networks at the end of the first millennium led to larger settlements, increased long-distance trade, and greater social complexity.

Beginning in the 11th century, the Swahili along the coast were acting as middlemen for Somali, Egyptian, Nubian, Arab, Persian, and Indian traders.

They began building walled towns, coral houses, and elites converted to Islam, often speaking Arabic.

The Malindi Kingdom appears to have been formed around the 9th century AD. and to have grown powerful in the two centuries before Vasco da Gama ushered in Portuguese colonization of the region, the latter leading to the decline of the civilization.

History:

The city of Malindi, founded around 850 AD, was in a somewhat more northerly location than the modern city.

It appears to have been destroyed around 1000 AD. There are sparse signs of habitation for the next two centuries, then recovery and prosperity in the 1200s.

Once rivalled only by Mombasa for dominance in this part of East Africa, Malindi has traditionally been a port city.

In 1414, the town was visited by the fleet the Chinese explorer Zheng He and the Malindi ruler sent a personal envoy with a giraffe as a present to China on that fleet.

The Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama met Malindi authorities in 1498 to sign a trade agreement and hire a guide for the voyage to India and here he erected a Coral Pillar.

Vasco da Gama was given a warm reception from the Shiekh of Malindi, which contrasted with the hostile reception he encountered in Mombasa.

Malindi’s main source of prosperity was the export of ivory and rhino horns as well as exporting agricultural products such as coconuts, oranges, millet and rice.

In the years before the arrival of the Portuguese, Malindi was a regional power but lagged significantly behind the two greatest states, Mombasa and Kilwa.

In 1499 the Portuguese established a trading post in Malindi that served as a rest stop on the way to and from India.

The Portuguese were eagerly welcomed by the wazee who sought to use the Portuguese military might to establish themselves over their rivals in Mombasa.

In 1500, King Dom Manuel I offered vassal status to Malindi. Malindi supported Portugal’s successful efforts to conquer Kilwa and Mombasa in 1505.

In 1509 the Portuguese established a factory (custom house) in Malindi, which they abandoned in 1512.

The decline of Kilwa and Mombasa led to Malindi’s flourishing.

Malindi grew as other Swahili, as well as Arab, Persian, and Indian, merchants, craftsmen, sailors, and laborers flocked to newly powerful city.

Malindi remained the centre of Portuguese activity in eastern Africa until 1593 when the Portuguese moved their main base to Mombasa.

After that the town gradually declined until it almost disappeared by the end of 17th century.

In 1845 Ludwig Krapf visited Malindi and found it overgrown by vegetation and uninhabited.

A Portuguese chapel with a graveyard was built before 1542 when Francis Xavier visited the town.

Many buildings of Swahili architecture still survive, including the Juma Mosque and the palace on the beach.

Excursion Inclusions:

– Transport

– Pick up and drop off at your hotel

Excursions and activities in Malindi

It was built in 1498 by the great Portuguese explorer, Vasco da Gama as a sign of appreciation for the welcome he received from the Sultan of Malindi.

The cross on the pillar was tested and found to be made of Lisbon limestone, proving that it is the original cross.

Vasco DaGama PillarTour Malindi

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *